Start a new topic

Flash Firmware on Windows 11

Anyone on Windows 11 able to flash their Orba 2 firmware? Seems to always disconnect just before. 

Able to on Windows 10. 

To clarify, if I sound a bit harsh, it is not because of you David, you are trying to be nice and helpful. But I am really pissed off with Artiphon not handling any community relations entirely, and going into a new Chorda campaign without solving critical Orba issues first.

No offence taken at all @Ignis32! I just find it mysterious.

I think after the mess of the Chorda Kickstarter Artiphon got so much flack (some not justified IMHO, some justified) that they decided to withdraw and bury their heads. A poor decision but I can understand it. At least they have not walked away from trying to improve performance and software although I would maintain my position that the direction they are going is not consistent with the idea of the devices as "educational" and "creative", which is what I have always said. 

To those who say "I don't know why people say it doesn't work with Windows 11" or "they don't let the process finish." Well, I certainly didn't try things like disabling the antivirus or running the software in administrator mode. Also because it's not something the software asks or suggests, and I was doing other work at the same time, I didn't think much about it, I just ran from one PC to another leaving it updating. I simply went to three different computers with Windows 11 (2 desktops and a laptop), and when I ran the firmware update my Orba 2 stayed with all the blue lights. On two PCs I left them for 30 minutes, until I disconnected it with great fear (disconnecting a device that is updating its firmware can turn the device, in this case, into a nice ball). 

On the third attempt, on my laptop, I left it for an hour, in case I had to wait longer... which I shouldn't. A firmware update process, precisely, should be as fast as possible to avoid problems. And it's not like there's a lot of memory to flash... Anyway, I've been updating firmwares for 30 years.

So, I came to this forum, saw that people were saying it was a Windows 11 thing. I went to my other laptop, with Windows 10 since it doesn't have the minimum features to update to Windows 11. It's a laptop that I use from time to time because it's very light. With practically the same software installed, the same antivirus installed, I run the software, hit update... and in literally seconds my Orba 2 was updated.

The software itself looks rough, with a lot of room for improvement. The device, on the other hand, is incredible and I love it. The only thing that spoils the experience is having to go through software that is so unintuitive, slow and lacking in possibilities, that hasn't improved much in years, despite the remodeling of the app. At least that's my opinion.

And the person who buys an Orba 2 doesn't even have to know about software or computers. The experience has to be as simple as possible. I think it's something they should work on. Let's just say that we gave it to my son when he was 17 (I've been working with computers for 30 years, but he hasn't inherited that passion) and he abandoned it shortly after precisely because of the software. It was impossible for him to connect it to his mobile phone, it didn't work very well with the PC... and it's been in a drawer for 2 years since then.

1 person likes this

@Alias79 - I accept what you say but it's mysterious to me when I've had no problems with it. I'm truly curious as to why that is and while it isn't affecting me I would like to know! That's all. (And if we do find a reason we can perhaps help others.)

David, what processor? chipset?   Curious if it's system specific.  I believe it used to work way back, but at some point, can't remember version now when things changed it hasn't worked. 

I don't do all that chipset stuff but I'm talking four different brands - Dell XPS,  Surface Pro 8 tablet, Asus Zenbook and HP Spectre, so I doubt that's the problem. Personally, I suspect it's down to some software or other hardware attached. There's a lot of stuff that people have installed on Windows 11 because they didn't like some thing or other that they didn't like about it, and a lot of users attach extra hardware that I wouldn't bother with. But I will probably shot down for saying that. (I'm not criticizing - just it's not my way.)

One of the installations I recently tested, where I installed the operating system from scratch, has the antivirus and little else. What it could be?, in my case, antivirus + Windows 11? I don't know. On the laptop that has Windows 10, where I was able to update my Orba 2, I use the same antivirus. And the computers with Windows 11 where I tested are different in terms of chipsets (AMD / Intel), graphics card (AMD / NVIDIA), etc.

No luck here on any Win11, no probs on Win10.  Guess not as lucky as David B.  It starts the circle of lights, disconnects and doesn't reconnect.  Also manually putting it in drive mode, doesn't allow copying anything to it for manual firmware update.   All of this works without issue on Win10.   Ah well, at least there is a way to do it lieu of it not working on Win11.

Login or Signup to post a comment