Start a new topic

Orba hacking knowledge base

This thread is intended to gather the feedback of Orba tinkerers.

28 people like this idea

...another one I noted was:

Limit max loop length to 8 bars 

It sounds like it might be possible to change that if it was useful...? Earlier versions are available for testing from googleapis, eg the app/firmware for 0.13.0.

Its interesting that Quantization can be turned on/off with an App version? Maybe the defaults are in the App and get pushed to the Orba when it connects?

The versions might be a combination of app/firmware maybe.

>"Here is one with all the 480s changed to 481s"

Good idea, no result yet but one way to approach it if I can narrow down the file. 

...been hunting high and lowe for quantStartSnapTicks, but no luck yet.

I found this text in the App in the kind of area I was looking through while trying to understand the Modifiers and the Seekers.

Note

Event

SnapToGrid

AsPlayed

Major Chords

64358c1f-2ef5-4fd0-b3fd-ad8c4f93b839

Pressure

Metric

It made me wonder whether some of the quantisation settings might be hidden somewhere like the ModifierData for the Tap event. 

(Re: that 4MB flash RAM I mentioned, you can erase it entirely, confirm that it contains nothing but FFs, and it makes no noticeable difference to anything.)

Looking again at the ModifierData list in "Ian repo", the Tap, Bump and Shake Note events have different (and busier) data than the others. These are the three events that generate notes. Bump and Shake Note are the same, while Tap is unique. I'm not sure if we ever found out what those entries did...?

The changed section is:

Tap

AQgAAAAE

Bump/Shake

CgEAAAAE

Other

AAAAAAAE

Might be worth fiddling the values and checking the loop info. Would be interesting to find out what this did in any case.

txt
(18.2 KB)

...App code...

QuantSnapToGrid_On.svg

QuantSnapToGrid_Off.svg

Do we know what those look like...?

I think these will become buttons with the next release so I'm not chasing these anymore. I am very  interested in quantStartSnapTicks because I don't think they have plans to make that configurable 

Good luck. ;-)

It seems to be referred to as SnapToGrid so I'm going to hunt for that. I wonder if there is any metadata in the songs that might have this? Maybe they will add it so that we can hack Groove parameters or snapToGrid parameters in the future.. :)

In the meantime I've had an idea.

1) Create a script to send "q" to console and bundle it with Chordfiddler 

2) Put out an ad

"New Orba-Q unlocks the power of your Orba-1 with the power to add quantisation to your loops as well as customising chords and scales! Introductory offer for only £20. Please send payment by Paypal to BJG145@......"

(...just kidding. Then again...)

I've been flipping through some of the old versions to see if there's any new XML. v13 had the quantise options in the save dialog, which adds the "groove" mode 2 you found to the XML. I haven't heard anything groovy yet.   

One of the improvements for Orba 2 is bar length from 8 to 128. According to the change log, "Limit max loop length to 8 bars" was new to v13.18 but I haven't seen how to increase it in v13 yet. There's "nBars" in the app code and the XML.

@BJG145 Looking for your thoughts on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GwzbBn7uRw

>"There's "nBars" in the app code and the XML"

I've realised this one's simple; I expect it's been posted about before. You can record a song with one beat, save it, change nBars to eg 32, load it again, then continue. Here's a random quantised 32 bar loop. I kept this one fairly sparse because it crashed when I tried to record a busy one; probably exceeded the note limit.

mp3
Login or Signup to post a comment